We are learning that a prominent Florida heart surgeon’s family is suing the hospital he worked at for over 30 years. They say that Dr. J. Lancelot Lester went in for his third back surgery in May so he could get back on his feet and operating again. He trusted the doctors and staff at his hospital to make him whole again.
Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worst when he was administered a powerful narcotic to alleviate his pain. He has been in a vegetative state ever since. His daughters have filed suit, claiming that a series of medical mistakes led to his near-death and current condition. They are seeking $15-$20 million in compensation. The sisters say they did not want to resort to a lawsuit, but the hospital has not communicated with them.
“They haven’t offered us anything,” one daughter said. “Not even an apology.”
They also say that the hospital did not report this medical accident to the Florida Department of Health, something that would have caused a review to take place that could possibly prevent similar incidents from happening.
At the Law Offices of Bradley S. Hartman, we are here to help if you or a loved one have experienced a medical mistake. If you need a Miramar medical malpractice attorney, call us today.
It Can Happen To Anyone
If the story above shows us anything, it is that medical mistakes can happen to anyone, even those who work in the medical field. Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the US, killing an average of 250,000 people annually. If that number is shocking to you, it should be. These mistakes should not be happening at rates this high.
Let’s take a quick look at how some of these mistakes arise:
- Medication Mistakes: If it turns out that Dr. Lester was indeed harmed due to a medication error, then he will join a long list of patients hurt each year due to medication errors. These often happen due to a patient not getting their required medications, patients receiving the wrong medication, or the wrong dosage of a medication being given.
- Diagnostic Errors: These mistakes affect 12 million people a year and leave many with long-term disabilities. They occur due to overworked or undertrained staff.
- Surgical Mistakes: These are frightening errors, the kind we see on TV shows all the time. However, it is usually more “minor” surgical errors that hurt thousands each year.
- Infections: These cause more hospital fatalities than anything else and are usually preventable.
If You Are Hurt
We know that there is nothing more frightening than experiencing a medical mistake. When you seek medical help, you do not expect healthcare professionals to make you worse. At the Law Offices of Bradley S. Hartman, we will work with you to secure the compensation you need for all of your incident-related expenses. This can include:
- Current and future medical costs
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost wages and benefits
- Punitive damages