Each year, about 5,000 Americans die in truck accidents across the nation, which means driving a truck is an extremely hazardous activity. This realization alone discourages Americans from becoming truck drivers, which, in turn, has caused an immense shortage of truckers in the U.S. trucking industry.
But what many do not realize is that you can actually avoid truck accidents in Miramar and elsewhere in Florida by following just a few simple safety tips. Our truck accident attorney Miramar from Law Offices of Bradley S. Hartman, P.A., explains that none of these safety tips will require much of your effort, time, or money.
Recovering damages after a truck accident, or worse, being sued for causing a truck accident in Miramar or elsewhere in Florida, on the other hand, will bite off a hefty chunk of your budget, effort, and time (because, believe it or not, truck accident cases are expensive, tiresome, and time-consuming).
If you are a truck driver in Miramar or elsewhere in Florida, our experienced truck accident attorney in Miramar strongly advises to implement the following tips into your everyday routine to avoid collisions and ensure your own safety and the safety of other motorists on the road.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs. Since a large percentage of truck accidents in Miramar are caused by drunk truckers, not drinking alcohol and not using drugs before and during your trip will significantly reduce your risk of injury or death on the road, as ridiculous as it might sound. Still, watch out for other drunk drivers on the road.
- Beware of the blind spots. Regardless of how sober you are, your risk of getting into a truck accident is high if you are not careful with the blind spots, one of the biggest challenges when operating a truck.
- Maintain a safe stopping distance. Operating a truck is not the same as operating a passenger car due to braking and traction characteristics, which is why you should maintain a proper stopping distance between the truck and any other vehicles traveling ahead of you.
- Wear a seatbelt. According to studies, 1 in 6 truck drivers does not wear seatbelts, while other studies show that wearing a safety belt can prevent as many as up to 40 percent of all truck accident deaths.
- Avoid distracted driving. Regardless of whether you are wearing a seatbelt or not, texting or talking over the phone while driving can significantly increase the risk of causing a motor vehicle accident, and truck accidents are no exception.
- Watch out for the weather. Florida is known for its unpredictable weather conditions, which is why checking weather forecasts before embarking on a trip is critical. When weather conditions are not safe to drive a truck, avoid driving altogether. “Remember: losing some of your income is a better alternative to losing your life or health,” reminds our Miramar truck accident attorney from Law Offices of Bradley S. Hartman, P.A.
- Beware of speed limits and follow traffic laws. Avoid traveling at speeds that exceed the legally allowable limit.
- Get plenty of rest. One of the most common causes of truck accidents in Miramar and all across Florida is fatigued driving, which is why getting a good night’s sleep and plenty of rest before each trip is paramount.
By following these 8 safety tips you can significantly raise your chances of avoiding a truck accident in Miramar or elsewhere in Florida. Contact our best truck accident lawyers in Florida at Law Offices of Bradley S. Hartman, P.A., to talk about your particular case. Get a free consultation by calling at 954-438-1000 today.