We have all been taught from our childhood: always get medical help if you were in an accident, whether it is a car accident, truck accident, slip and fall, or any other accident.
But the importance of seeking medical attention after an accident is so underestimated by residents of Cooper City and all across Florida that it often hurts their personal injury claim.
These are the three most common reasons why people who have been in an accident refuse to seek medical attention right away:
- They think that they have not been injured (however, high levels of stress and adrenaline can mask pain and injury)
- They think that their injuries are too minor (no injury can be called “minor” unless your doctor says so; do not make assumptions on your own, let a medical professional diagnose you)
- They think it is OK to get medical help later (while you obviously can do that, it can significantly reduce your chances of recovering damages for the accident).
Reasons why you should seek medical attention right away
Our Cooper City personal injury attorney from the Law Offices of Bradley Hartman outlines three compelling reasons why you should always get medical care and treatment after an accident:
- Florida requires you to visit a doctor within 14 days after an accident in order to be eligible to file a personal injury claim and seek compensation as a result
- Many injuries do not manifest themselves right away, but once they do, it may be too late to pursue compensation (if 14 days have passed) for the medical bills and other damages such as diminished earning capacity and lost wages
- Not getting medical help right away will make it look as if you were not hurt badly enough in an accident in the eyes of the at-fault party, insurance companies, juries and judges if you choose to pursue a personal injury lawsuit.
Signs that you have been injured after an accident
If you have been in a car accident or premises liability accident (slip and fall), there are certain types of symptoms that may indicate trauma and injury. Keep a sharp eye out for the following symptoms and get medical help as soon as you notice them:
- Back pain (the back usually suffers the most in motor vehicle and slip and fall accidents)
- Pain or stiffness in neck of shoulders (especially after whiplash auto accidents)
- Numbness or tingling in extremities (arms, hands, legs)
- Swelling or bruising (may be a sign of internal bleeding – seek medical attention immediately!)
- Diminished brain activity and memory issues (may be a sign of concussion or brain injury)
- Headaches (may be a sign of concussion as well)
- Insomnia or other sleep problems (a sign of either a concussion or post-traumatic stress disorder).
Even if you do not notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms, seek medical help after an accident anyway. Undergoing a medical checkup and getting diagnosed after an accident is the absolute best thing you can do to maximize your chances of compensation recovery. In order to further increase your chances of getting compensated for your injuries and damages, seek legal advice of a Cooper City personal injury lawyer.
Here at the Law Offices of Bradley Hartman, our skilled attorneys will handle all legal aspects of your case to obtain compensation on your behalf as you focus on your recovery. Call our offices at 954-438-1000 or fill out this contact form for a free case evaluation.